[Qt-interest] Menu bar on QtCreator created GUI

OS Prog osprog at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 15:36:31 CEST 2010

>> The problem is when I run this application. I can see "File" and
>> "Tools" texts on the QMenuBar, but when I click on them nothing
>> happens - like I'm not clicking on them. The menu doesn't appear
>> (this drop-down menu that should appear when you click on them with
>> all the actions on it..).
>
> Okay, now I understand the problem. But are you really sure that nothing at all is displayed? Not even a tiny empty rectangle (the actual menu with no items in it)? And I mean really small, like a few pixels in height... this would indicate that the changes you did in Qt Creator - adding the menu items - are not reflected in either the *.ui file (you did not save) or the generated files (they are not re-generated or compiled/linked).

Nothing is displayed. Absolutely nothing. Even a pixel.
The changes are applied, I think, as I've added the QMenu and the
QActions on it at the same time and then I've build the code - The
menu text is there but didn't worked. So I assume that files are
generated correctly and I'm using the right build.

> Also, are you sure you are not mixing up your debug/release binaries? Maybe you are building in release mode, but are starting the (outdated) debug binary?

Yes, the release folder is empty and I'm working only on debug one...

> Anyway, I still assume that after you did your changes in Qt Creator that the resulting files are not properly auto-generated. Are you using qmake? I strongly assume so (since you mentioned Qt Creator). Make sure that in your *.pro file the UI files are proplery declared:
>
> FORMS += YourMainWindow.ui

They are.

> qmake then takes care of the necessary steps (uic'ing, moc'ing). Do a 'make clean' (or in Qt Creator: right-click on the project(s) and "Clean") and see if that makes a difference...
I've done it. Even I've cleaned all remaining files after 'clean' step
manually and I've rebuild it.

BTW, I've noticed that for the first time in Qt4.5 (don't remember
QtCreator version) few months ago, but I worked around doing the menu
stuff in the code, rather on the designer. Now I'm using Qt4.7b1 and
QtCreator 1.3.83.

I've tried building it on few machines (XP and Vista) - it's the same.

Regards
Nik