[Qt-interest] Grouping existing widgets into a vertical splitter with Qt Designer

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 22:36:11 CEST 2010

Hello Bill -

Thanks for the reply.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM, william.crocker at analog.com
<william.crocker at analog.com> wrote:

> K. Frank wrote:
>> Hi List!
>>
>> I have a Qt Designer form (i.e., a .ui file).  It has (roughly
>> speaking) a couple
>> of tables grouped together in a horizontal splitter, with a QTextEdit
>> underneath.
>>
>> I wish to group the horizontal splitter and the QTextEdit together in a vertical
>> splitter (so that at run-time the user can give more or less vertical  space to
>> the QTextEdit, trading off space with the tables).
>>
>> If possible in Designer, what's the best way to do this?
>
> There it is!
>
> Another example of how an IDE can save you
> a little time, but then waste days on end.
> Just learn to do it all in code and you will
> never look back.

Hmm, yes...  Well that thought had crossed my mind.

Implied by your response is that Designer can't (or can't easily) be
used to group widgets into a splitter after the fact.  But I would like
to get explicit confirmation of that, if anyone knows for sure.

> :-)

I have used a number of "visual" tools that "run out of gas" when
you try to do more than the basic demo examples.  But I have
used a few that "go the distance."  I just don't have enough
experience with Designer to know which kind it is.

> Bill

I appreciate your feedback.

Best regards.

K. Frank