[Qt-interest] Grouping existing widgets into a vertical splitter with Qt Designer

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 23:45:16 CEST 2010

Hi Jan -

Thanks for the suggestion.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Jan <janusius at gmx.net> wrote:
> sorry for confusing you: it is ...
>
> table|hsplitter|table|hsplitter|table
> -------------vsplitter---------------
> -------------textedit----------------

Yes, this is basically it.

I have a technical question about the splitters:  Let's say I do have
three tables.  (Actually I have four composite widgets that contain
tables.)  Do I have one hsplitter that wraps the three tables, or do
I have two hsplitters: one that separates the first and second table,
and a second that separates the second and third?

> Am 20.07.2010 23:02, schrieb Jan:
>> something like this:
>>
>> table|vsplitter|table|vsplitter|table
>> -------------hsplitter---------------
>> -------------textedit----------------
>>
>> A few clicks in designer. Sounds like you put another (unnecessary)
>> layout around the tables.

I don't think I have an additional layout around the tables.

According to "Object Inspector" in Designer, I have the following
tree structure:

   MainWindow
   -- centralwidget
      -- horizontalLayout (contains some lables and group boxes)
      -- (horizontal) splitter
         -- table (actually a verticalLayout containing a label and
table-like widget)
         -- table (ditto)
         -- table (ditto)
      -- textedit
   -- menubar
   -- statusbar

I don't see any extra layouts, unless the centralwidget thing is redundant
somehow.

What I'd like to do is group the horizontal splitter and textedit into a
vertical splitter.  The above tree structure would change thusly:

   MainWindow
   -- centralwidget
      -- horizontalLayout (contains some lables and group boxes)
      -- (vertical) splitter
          -- (horizontal) splitter
             -- table (actually a verticalLayout containing a label
and table-like widget)
             -- table (ditto)
             -- table (ditto)
          -- textedit
   -- menubar
   -- statusbar

So the question is:  How do I  (or is it possible to) make this change
with Designer?

>> Jan

I appreciate any pointers.

K. Frank