[Qt-interest] QFileDialog and UNIX device nodes

Jeffery MacEachern j.maceachern at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 10:20:55 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 00:56, Srdjan Todorovic
<todorovic.s at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 22 July 2010 08:07, Konrad Rosenbaum <konrad at silmor.de> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 21 July 2010, Jeffery MacEachern wrote:
>>> As part of the connection
>>> process, the user is presented with a QFIleDialog to select the serial
>>> port that the device is connected to.  We are currently using a filter
>>> of "*".  Is there a smarter way to do this on Linux/UNIX/OS X?
>>
>> On most Unixes serial devices will match tty*.
>>
>> On Linux for example ttyS* are the normal serial ports, ttyACM* are USB
>> attached serial devices (eg. UMTS modems).
>
> But that's really only a convention. I think you can even do:
>
>  mknod /dev/didyouhearthiscoolstory   c 4 64
>
> which should create a new character device node that will be
> equivalent to /dev/ttyS0 - the first UART serial port (this is all on
> Linux).
>
> So I guess a file dialog that could filter based on major and minor
> numbers of device nodes would be neat - but it's probably not portable
> on non-UNIX systems.

That's sort of what I was thinking of, although I think I like Harry's
suggestion; the QFileDialog is actually overkill if we merely need to
select between one of (presumably a small number of) serial ports, and
if the classes mentioned are portable to other platforms, then all the
better.  I will take a look at that.