[Qt-interest] Frequency of Audio Tracks

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Jul 24 22:12:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 24 July 2010 19:29:17 Vijay Kansal wrote:
> I want to develop an audio editor using Qt.
> For this, I need to plot a waveform of the music track which I think should
> be a plot of frequency of sound versus time(please correct me if I am
> wrong).

As I am actually doing audio programming:

Please be adviced that Phonon is not suitable for that for a number of
reasons. And its not going to change as Phonon is simply not made for that.
Phonon is for "simple" playback. Anything else (and you want "anything else")
you have to use the specialized audio-frameworks directly.
And then you enter the world of handling and manipulating the samples directly
and doing dsp on them and applying effects (keywords to search for are LADSPA,
LV2 and jack-audio-connection-kit). Which is were the fun but also the work
really begins.
If you want to know more, read and participate at the linux-audio-developers
mailing list...

Don't get me wrong, Qt is great for creating the gui and the main parts of
your app. But for the actual sound handling Qt intentionally(!) doesn't
provide anything of use with the specifications you have.

Have fun,

Arnold