[Qt-interest] LGPL compliance poll

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 17:48:36 CEST 2010

On 1 October 2010 16:04, BRM <bm_witness at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
[snip]

> Let's put this to rest and quickly.
>
> GPL requires that the using software be licensed under the GPL as well.
> LGPL is kind of GPL with exceptions such that even closed source applications
> _can_ use it under certain rules - namely, you have to either (i) link fully
> dynamically, or (ii) you can statically link as long as you provide a method to
> relink to a user's build of the same source. In either case you have to provide
> access to the LGPL portion of the source for a given period - 3 years I think.
> This is all spelled out quite well in the LGPL license Section 4
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html).

Are you sure about that? Section 6b seems to imply that so long as the
LGPL work (in this case Qt) is linked dynamically and unaltered then
you do not need to make the source available?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html

Also, note that Qt is distributed under the LGPL 2.1, not 3. (The
GPL'd version is distributed under v3 of the GPL.)

Cheers,

Ian