[Qt-interest] LGPL compliance poll

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 21:58:06 CEST 2010

----- Original Message ----

I believe MSVC will do some weird things and let you link against executable
applications - not libraries.
Partially b/c it does treat executable applications (*.exe) as libraries for
some things - e.g. resources - icons, strings, etc.
So yes, you can have a stand-alone-binary ready to execute that can be linked
dynamically by another application.

Most platforms, however, do forbid that kind of thing; so it is rather an
atypical thing particular to Windows.

> > > The only occasion where  you are allowed to use  GPL-libraries without
> > > your becoming  GPL is when that app is only used within  the
> > > firm/business  unit that
> > >
> > > wrote it in the first place. Which means  when  the app isn't sold.
> > > On a side-note: This is the reason  some folks invented  the AFL for
> > web-apps...
> >
> >  Doesn't have anything to do with selling. I can sell you a copy of a
> >  closed-source application that utilizes GPL code so long as I do not
> >  _distribute_ the actual application to you.
> > As soon as I distribute the  application the GPL license kicks in; until
> > then I am free to do what I  please.
>
> Selling me a copy of an app _is_ distribution. Selling me your  work
> programming the app (when you don't keep a copy of the source or at  least do
> not sell/distribute it to others) makes it my property and the  exception I
> stated above applies.

I could sell you the Brooklyn Bridge without distributing it to you. GPL is only

invoked on distribution.
I could also sell you software without distributing it to you.

Not saying how useful such a sale would be, just that it is possible - both
technically and legally;
though in most cases it would likely be considered fraud there are
non-fraudulent ways to do so.

For example, I write software for my own in-house use that utilizes GPL code;
you buy my company - thus implicity buying a copy of the software. Yet I still
have not distributed it to you; but you now have full ownership and license.

Ben