[Qt-interest] LGPL compliance poll

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Oct 4 08:58:40 CEST 2010

On Monday 04 October 2010 06:48:25 Kustaa Nyholm wrote:
> >> The only occasion where you are allowed to use  GPL-libraries without
> >> your becoming GPL is when that app is only used within  the
> >> firm/business unit that wrote it in the first place.
>
> Is there any wording in the GPL that supports this?

No. But if you work for a corporation, there is wording in your contract to do
exactly with this. Even worse, when you do the programming for money for
someone else, most (all?) contracts state that you have no rights on the code
at all. They are the one to deal with licensing and copyright and they are the
one to deal with copyright infringement...

Oh, and the gpl talks about "public", if the software doesn't see the public,
there is no reason to follow the license.

> GPL talks about 'you' not 'firm/business unit' and thus I've always taken
> it that GPL gives rights to individuals and as soon as you give a copy to
> anyone else, you are distributing or conveying as the new GPL3 calls it.

If several people are the "you" your interpretation would fail already within
a team of developers.

Arnold