[Qt-interest] LGPL compliance poll

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 4 15:33:55 CEST 2010

Em Segunda-feira 04 Outubro 2010, às 13:46:20, Kustaa Nyholm escreveu:
> > The right hand moving stuff to the left hand doesn't count as licensing.
>
> If you are referring to distributing within a company this is not clear cut
> in my view.

The position of the FSF is that within one company, there occurs no
distribution. The GPLv3 invents the term "convey" to explicitly mean what they
want it to mean: the passing of the code from one entity to the next. They are
also explicit about contractors: if a contractor is working for hire for a
company, there occurs no conveyance and the contractor retains no rights under
the GPLv3 to the code.

But you're right: it's not clear cut. If you want to use the GPLv2, you should
consult your lawyer to see if you've got the law backing you enough. (you can
never be 100% sure)

You can find Nokia's position by watching the video from our legal counsel on
the downloads page as well as her slides from Developer Days 2009. I won't try
to interpret them for you here. And remember that this is just the untested
position of the company -- whether it holds in court or not depends on, well,
going to court.

PS: this "needs to be tested in court" is not universal. It applies to Common
Law systems like those in the US and the UK. Other countries adopt a different
mechanism where you can be reasonably sure of what the law means without
testing in court first, or not being sure that a second test will yield the
same result.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2010  -  Munich Oct 11-13  -  San Francisco Nov 1-3
For more information and to register: http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2010