[Qt-interest] Default Positioning of a Dialog

Jake Colman colman at ppllc.com
Wed Oct 6 20:37:10 CEST 2010

I am working with Qt 4.7.0 on Solaris 10.

With Qt3, dialogs are always displayed centered over its parent window.
With Qt4 this behavior appears to be dependent on the Window Manager in
use.  With fvwm, for example, the dialog is auto-positioned by the WM but
with CDE it centers over the parent.  Does anyone know how to ensure
that dialogs are always positioned over the parent regardless of the WM?

Yes, I know that there might be solutions that I can implement via
derived classes.  But I also want to make sure that Qt's own built-in
dialogs (e.g., file dialogs, font dialogs, etc) behave the same way.  Is
there some kind of global Qt setting that can be applied?  Has anyone
else seen or dealt with this problem?

Thanks.

...Jake

--
Jake Colman | Director, Software Development
Principia Partners LLC