[Qt-interest] Qt 4.6.3 QApplication constructor (Windows 7) EXTREMELY slow?

Paul Miller paul at fxtech.com
Thu Oct 7 00:05:39 CEST 2010

Just spent the last 2 days tracking down an intermittent performance
problem with QApplication construction.

Symptoms:
1. on my machine, everything was fast - QCoreApplication would
initialize consistently in about 60ms (release mode)

2. on 2 tester machines, and on a completely clean Windows 7 x64 VM, the
same app would start up sporadically quickly, but then every now and
then (every 5-10 runs) would take about 16 seconds longer on the 2 test
machines, and about 10 seconds longer on the VM.

3. after awhile, the test app would ALWAYS take 10 seconds longer than
usual to start up on the VM (as I said none of this happened on my dev
machine so the VM was all I had available to test with). Results were
consistent with 2 off-site test machines.

I switched back to 4.5.3 Qt dlls and everything started working properly
on all machines, and QApplication init time went down to about ~1ms.

Note all of the test machines were fairly clean, with no standard Qt
installation and pretty stock runtimes/patches installed. Basically just
test app + required Qt dlls in a directory. Development machine was
loaded with Visual Studio, various runtimes, various Qt installs, etc. etc.

Anyone seen anything like this? Is Qt 4.6.3 doing something radically
different during app startup now?