[Qt-interest] How to support Korean language in Qt

sudhish kapoor kapoorsudhish at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 10:58:19 CEST 2010

Thanks for the detailed reply Oliver, i am using qt linguist and the code is
encapsulated within tr(), but my problem is the font file to be used for
Showing the Korean Font because i am unable to see the fonts on the Ui can
you please help me with the name of the font file to be used!!!
I tried with NanumGothic.ttf file as mentioned in

http://www.qtcentre.org/threads/24242-Problem-with-korean-characters-display

It displays Japenese and Chinese characters after adding MSGOTHIC.TTF file
but not Korean.

Can anyone please help on this please.

Thanks

- Make sure you have such a font installed on your system (is it usable in
other apps?)
       I think its the font problem as i am able to see the Japanese and the
Chinese font but just not the Korean font

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:26 PM, <Oliver.Knoll at comit.ch> wrote:

> On 2010-10-20 Sudhish sudhish kapoor wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >       I am using 4.5.0 and want to show korean font, how to do that
> > can any one help me with that.
>
> - Make sure you have such a font installed on your system (is it usable in
> other apps?)
> - Test with e.g. %QTDIR\examples\painting\fontsampler\ whether the font is
> also properly displayed with Qt
> - Read about "internationalisation" ("i18n") in Qt:
> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.7/internationalization.html
> - In general: read the excellent (!) Qt documentation first ;)
>
> My recommendation is to use English texts in your source code (NOT korean
> or german or...) and then translate these to your desired language, using Qt
> Linguist, even if you only plan to support korean. This way you avoid the
> problem with source file text encoding. Even though most modern text editors
> / IDEs support Unicode / UTF-8 encoding, some compilers might not (?). Or in
> other words:
>
> DON'T:
>
> // Swiss german - the umlauts ä, ö, ü etc. might cause trouble!
> QString welcome = tr("Guätä Morgä allnä mitenand!");
>
> DO:
>
> QString welcome = tr("Good morning everyone!");
>

> The tr() ("translate") method is available for any QObject based class.
> Again, read about Qt internationalization on how to translate strings in
> "non-Qt classes". The tool lupdate.exe with then extract all these strings
> and but them into a *.ts file.
>
> Then within Qt Linguist (see
> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.7/linguist-manual.html) you can enter any
> Unicode character you like, the resulting *.qm translation files (which you
> load dynamically at runtime and can even switch between at runtime) deal
> with Unicode properly :)
>
> Cheers, Oliver
> --
> Oliver Knoll