[Qt5-feedback] Translation in Qt5

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Tue Jul 5 18:01:17 CEST 2011

On 07/04/2011 05:31 AM, ext Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 09:39:09AM +0200, ext Philippe wrote:
>> * Automatic context (which is not bug free) has never been a
>> problem for the 4 translators. GUI class names can often give an
>> hint.
>>
>> the experience with commercial translators is that they are too
>> clueless
> to use the class names. and the unnecessary duplicates push up
> costs.

Couldn't Linguist simply offer to a way to easily "collapse" all
contexts with the same translation string, so that you can easily edit
the duplicates, and rather focus on the exceptions?

[...]
>> 1) To improve my productivity for french translations: support for
>> Google Translate. I don't know for other languages, but for
>> french, this has cut down my translation time by at least 2
>> (certainly more, in fact, so less typing). Would be so easy to add
>> to Linguist.
>>
> i'm not sure the google terms of use would allow us to do that. if
> they do, then feel free to submit a patch ...

Terms of service can sometimes be hard to read/find. How about just
sending Google an email, and ask? They might be happier if the tool also
had a way to submit back the various translations back to their
Translation Toolkit, which in return helps Google improve their
tranlation engine? (Think of it as a super-large translation memory cache ;)

--
..marius