[Qt5-feedback] Time-triggered cleansing of QCache/QPixmapCache?

Andrey Batyiev batyiev at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 23:12:20 CEST 2011

Hello everyone

I have a question/idea of time-triggered cleansing of caches. Let me explain.

Let's take for example Plasma and it's pixmap cache for plasmoids. It's
configured to contain up to 20Mb on my machine.

Now, let's imagine that some user (me for example) put some new shiny plasmoid
onto desktop and that plasmoid creates many pixmaps (let's say 15Mb of pixmaps).
After while user removes that plasmoid from Plasma, but pixmaps will stay in
cache forever until other pixmaps will push them out.

My question/idea is: what if "forever" in last sentence replace with "half of
an hour" or some other (maybe developer-tunable) amount of time? What do you
think about this?

Please note, that 15Mb is all that my IM client uses, so it's big enough amount
of RAM to waste.

P.S. Plasma was taken just as example and I'm tried to simplify things.

Thanks,
   Andrey