[Qt5-feedback] html5 Qt JavaScript API

Philip Ashmore contact at philipashmore.com
Tue Jul 19 17:04:08 CEST 2011

Hi there.

I've started work on a Qt JavaScript API.
You can see my very early attempts at
http://www.philipashmore.com/html5/timeline/

The idea is to implement (part of) Qt's Widget class hierarchy in
JavaScript on platforms that don't use QtWebkit2 (like Google Chrome),
and to provide a native plug-in that intercepts the JavaScript URL's to
provide a native implementation from QtWebkit2 itself, usable from the
JavaScript running in the web page.

I'm sure you can see how the reverse situation maps - the same
JavaScript code could run just as well in v8 and would still be talking
to native Qt QWidgets.

Am I re-inventing the wheel here, as Qt5 is planning to do something
like this anyway?

Are there tools that can automatically sketch the QWidget class
hierarchy (including enums) in a form that can be used to implement it
in JavaScript as well as being able to expose the c++ QWidget hierarchy
to JavaScript?

Also, I realise that html/html5 is going to have some inadequacies
(child windows, printing, IPC ...).
Should I wait for html6?

Regards,
Philip Ashmore