[QtonPi] Got it!

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 22:59:04 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Anderson Lizardo <
anderson.lizardo at openbossa.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Harsh Shah <harshshah0589 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The price of board is only $35 and they charged you $75 as taxes !! ?
>
> Yes. In summary:
>
> 60% import tax (using board price + shipping cost)
> 15%-18% ICMS (state specific tax, using board price + shipping cost +
> import tax!)
> some value for "customs administrative tax" for airport (not sure how
> it is calculated)
>
> See another example:
>

> http://www.gizmodo.com.br/wp-content/blogs.dir/8/files/2012/06/raspberrypi.jpg
>
> The guy bought the RPi for $35, plus $40 in shipping tax for UPS (it
> is by far not the cheapest option for Brazil). On top of that, there
> was an additional $95 *only* in taxes.
>
> If it had been sent person to person, using regular mail (not courier
> like UPS), and it was under $50 (the RPi case), it is very likely that
> we would not have to pay these taxes (but could probably take a lot
> longer to arrive).
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Anderson Lizardo
> Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia - INdT
> Manaus - Brazil

OMG.

Not to belabor, and apologies for taking the thread off-track, and keeping
in mind that I have great respect for Brazil's culture and people, but that
is *INSANE*.  (Yes, and similar examples abound within the EU and Americas.)

People really put up with this?

I'm all for Civil Society, but I see absolutely no legitimate scenario by
which people should grant this authority to their governments.  It's
amazing people pretend that governments *have* this authority.

<sigh>

--charley