[QtonPi] uClibc and GPU acceleration

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Aug 8 13:08:31 CEST 2012

On 08/08/12 01:05, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > . is the software component for full GPU 3D (or 2D) acceleration
> > available yet?
>
> I had the impression that is what Qt3D components would do with
> the scenegraph underneath.

Thanks Laszlo, I acutally meant the low level binary GPU or kernel
blobs responsible for gfx acceleration.

Does the RPi have full support for GPU acceleration yet or are we
still waiting for some magic binary blob... or, is it just the
reverse engineered open source gfx module that is not yet available?

So far I've used Archlinux with LXDE and the gui response is so bad
it's just not worth using as it is now. Perhaps Raspbian would be a
bit snappier but, from what I can see, even a 40% CPU improvement
would not be enough to make the system usable with a mouse.

I'm just waiting a bit longer for Qt5 to become an RC then I'll try
it out, possible via an overnight native compile, but I don't hold
a lot of hope for any half decent performance unless I am missing
some magical binary blob or whatever GPU accel is available elsewise.

ie; how on earth can I use any software that can play back 1080p
video like I originally saw reports of for the RPi?