[QtonPi] Fwd: Beginner's problem compiling Qt5

Kieran David Evans keyz182 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 11:57:46 CEST 2012

On 27/08/12 10:51, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Kieran David Evans
> <keyz182 at gmail.com <mailto:keyz182 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi guys, I'm looking through the beginners guide, and I'm wondering
>     about the --prefix argument for configuring qtbase. Does that apply to
>     the qtbase local installation, the installation that goes on the
>     Pi, or
>     both?
>

> Local. Perhaps, it is better to keep the consistency in general, so
> please consider this again, if you would not like to have that. I
> believe, you can override the prefix with the packaging rules or with
> manual placement (prefix redirect), if you wish.
>
> Laszlo
I'm thinking in terms of a multi-user environment, i.e. if multiple
people/accounts are using one machine for qt/pi dev, then they may/will
interfere with eachothers builds, whereas keeping it in ~ means they can
poke, prod and tweak to their hearts content.

I'm trying to write a script that takes a beginner from nothing all the
way to fully (or as full as possible) cross compiled qt5 that they can
use to develop for their Pi (basically scripting what's in the begginers
guide in the wiki). I want to do this in as safe a way as possible, thus
the multi-user stuff. It also has the benefit of requiring root/sudo
less (in theory, with the prefix in ~ sudo make install can become make
install for qmake). Still needs sudo for mounting and installing files
to the image at the moment though.

/Kieran