[Qtwebengine] Dev tools and request signals

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Sat Dec 13 16:30:00 CET 2014

Hey Philip,

* Philipp A. <flying-sheep at web.de> [2014-12-13 14:06:30 +0100]:
> I impatiently awaited the new Qt WebEngine, because it has a non-ancient
> webkit/blink version and promised to supersede the old Qt Webkit module.
>
> Now how do i enable/trigger the blink dev tools?
>
> And how do i hook into requests the page wants to make without
> QNetworkAccessManager interop (in order to find out why the hell that
> request was denied even with LocalContentCanAccessRemoteUrls and
> LocalContentCanAccessFileUrls)?
>
> if any of the answers are “you don’t”, Qt WebEngine was a bad decision. i
> want one thing that is up-to-date and powerful, not thing A that is
> deprecated and powerful together with thing B that is up-to-date and inept.

I'm not a QtWebEngine developer, just someone writing a browser using
QtWebKit and also looking forward to QtWebEngine. But let me share my
thoughts about this.

The answer to all of this is probably "not yet". This means you can
either patiently wait (what I'm doing), start to contribute, or pay
other people to allow them to work on it more.

That doesn't make QtWebEngine "a bad decision". It's just not there
yet. 5.4 is the first Qt release to include QtWebEngine, you shouldn't
expect to be able to use it for too sophisticated stuff already ;)

That being said, QtWebKit is still being maintained (in terms of
bugfixes) and works just fine for me and a lot of other Qt based
browsers. Nobody said it's deprecated, and I don't expect it to be
deprecated until QtWebEngine is more advanced.

Florian

             GPG 0xFD55A072 | http://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc