[Qtwebengine] Dev tools and request signals

Jarred Nicholls jarred at webkit.org
Mon Dec 22 04:56:08 CET 2014

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Philipp A. <flying-sheep at web.de> wrote:

> Sorry, i didn’t quite phrase that well:
>
> The decision not to sync Qt Webkit

It's not just as easy as a "sync."  It doesn't work like that.  In the
world of WebKit/2, keeping a port up-to-date with the latest functionality
offered by the WebKit engine usually requires some port-specific
implementation.  That means development time and resources.  And the more
development time and resources spent on QtWebKit is less time and resources
spent on QtWebEngine.  Rather than making the trip to QtWebEngine even
longer and more painful of a transition, I believe they are doing the
correct thing and focusing completely on getting the future engine up to
par as quickly as possible.  Unlike Apple and Google, the Digia team does
not have 500 engineers working on their browser.

With that said, I'm not the right person to comment on this decision
because as a Chromium developer, any deficiencies that are currently in
QtWebEngine I've been able to work around in my own fork of it.  I realize
that not everyone has the expertise to do so.  But if I were them, choosing
to spend cycles on the WebKit port would be like eating a bucket of nails
because it is very counter productive to getting QtWebEngine up to feature
parity as quickly as possible.