[Qtwebengine] Help with Linux desktop build

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at digia.com
Thu Feb 20 11:36:39 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 06:16:13PM -0600, Mansoor C wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build upstream Linux desktop version (per Jocelyn's
> suggestion) to verify that my texture streaming patch builds properly.
> This is the first time I am trying to build upstream directly.
>
> I was able to clone, configure, and build upstream qt5 using
> directions here - no errors
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building-Qt-5-from-Git. I checked out stable branch.
>
> I was also able to clone qtwebengine upstream following directions from here:
> https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-labs/qtwebengine/source/e0653be7a315dc0b66af35c340a094de8a284117:
>
> However, 'qmake -r' can't find quick or qml modules.
>
> mchishtie at mansoor-rim:/media/ssd/upstream/qtwebengine$
> /media/ssd/upstream/qt5/qtbase/bin/qmake -r
> Info: creating cache file /media/ssd/upstream/qtwebengine/.qmake.cache
> Reading /media/ssd/upstream/qtwebengine/src/src.pro
>  Reading /media/ssd/upstream/qtwebengine/src/core/core.pro
>   Reading /media/ssd/upstream/qtwebengine/src/core/core_gyp_generator.pro
> Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: quick qml
>
> Am I not configuring/building Qt5 correctly?

This usually means that either the qtdeclarative submodule isn't initialized (unlikely) or that the build in qtdeclarative failed and you didn't notice (happens to me from time to time). The qtdeclarative build should produces qt_lib_quick.pri and qt_lib_qml.pri module files in qtbase/mkspecs/modules, else you'll get this error when trying to use the module.

So additionally to Sergio's trick, you can try to re-run make in /media/ssd/upstream/qt5/qtdeclarative and make sure that it succeeds.

Note that if you use the -developer-build configure switch you can use the /media/ssd/upstream/qt5/qtbase/bin/qmake directly, but if you don't use it and use a -prefix, you should do make install and use $prefix/bin/qmake instead.

Hoping this helps,
Cheers,
Jocelyn