[Qtwebengine] How do I run web engine on a sever without a display?

Kevin Truong knt261 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 04:47:49 CET 2015

I have a server running linux with no active display. When I try to run a
program that calls qt web engine, I get this error:

QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display

The only way I can get it to run is by installing xvfb (X virtual frame
buffer), and then running:

xvfb-run -s "-screen 0 640x480x16" ./myProgram

However, xvfb introduces additional complexity when it comes to debugging
(such as if an xvfb server hangs, all subsequent request will silently hang
as well), and I would like to know if there is a way I can get around to
not use it.

I know we can run WebKit completely headless because I can use the same
linux server with no active display to run phantomjs just fine, and it
doesn't produce any display errors. So I was wondering, is there a way I
can run qt web engine completely headless as well?

Best,
Kevin