[Qtwebengine] Re: How do I run web engine on a sever without a display?

Kevin Truong knt261 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 01:17:16 CET 2015

FYI, in case it helps anyone in the future, what I ended up using is a
xdummy. I set up an xorg server with a dummy video driver:

sudo apt-get install xauth xorg openbox

Then followed the xdummy configuration here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/453109/ubuntu-14-04-add-fake-display-when-no-monitor-is-plugged-in

Then, when I ssh into the headless server, I do:
export DISPLAY=:0
sudo startx&

That code starts the X server in the background. Then whenever I need to
run a program that calls qt web engine, I just have to make sure "echo
$DISPLAY" prints out ":0" (if not, I just export DISPLAY=:0 again), then I
run the program. It should run smoothly.

Using xdummy this way, the program feels slightly faster than xvfb -- might
be due to xvfb requiring so many file writes to disk. I also notice the
program hanging less often too.