[Qtwebengine] Hopeful of a timeline?

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at digia.com
Mon Jan 5 19:18:01 CET 2015

Hello David,

You can find some of that information at:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebenginewidgets-qtwebkitportingguide.html

Some of the features like private browsing should already be available in
Qt 5.5.

We currently have an internal development board at
https://trello.com/b/5G9c1rkb/qtwebengine that you can follow and you
can use the Qt bug tracker to vote and report issues or missing important
features.

I have to note that QtWebEngine isn't a 1-to-1 replacement of QtWebKit,
principally because some very advanced features can't be set in stone
through a public API without risking huge future maintenance efforts as
Chromium evolves under our feet. It is quite a dragon to ride.

The public API aims at solving the general use case of embedding web
contents in Qt applications, but if you are developping a more powerful
application I encourage you to look at the code and dig further to get
access to functionalities that you need, keeping in mind that the
further you dig, the more likely you'll have to update your code between
QtWebEngine updates.

Cheers,
Jocelyn