[Qtwebengine] KeyPressEvent not implemented?

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 18:27:49 CET 2015

From: Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org>

> Out of curiosity: What are you working on exactly?

A simple reader for web comics:

https://github.com/tallforasmurf/CoBro/blob/master/README.md

I think this is the same limitation as in
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-43602
>
>     Mouse events are caught by a child QWidget of the QWebEngineView,
>     and not by the QWebEngineView itself. This is a limitation of the
>     current QtWebEngine design.

I think you are correct. In my opinion this is an awful
design choice, as it effectively eliminates not only
mouse events as noted, but (it seems) keypress events.

It would seem not impossible for this hidden "child widget"
to pass events along to its parent. That might be tricky
to implement, but it would keep the tricky-ness inside Qt
instead of encouraging developers to proliferate their
own obscure and fragile work-arounds.