[Qtwebengine] QtWebEngine + WebGL + ANGLE + Intel + Windows?

Alexandru Croitor alexandru.croitor at qt.io
Mon Aug 21 17:34:31 CEST 2017

On 21. Aug 2017, at 17:24, Matt via QtWebEngine <qtwebengine at qt-project.org<mailto:qtwebengine at qt-project.org>> wrote:

Hello and thank you very much for your response. We suspected as much (re: ANGLE + WebGL) from the code but it's good to get an official confirmation.

This is unfortunate for our project as we depend on WebGL web content, and while it does partially work with the mentioned flags, objects still show up black in some scenarios for some reason. The fact that Chrome browser exhibits the same behavior with desktop OpenGL does not bode well. We did see the bug report you mentioned and we did try the --disable_chromium_framebuffer_multisample flag, but unfortunately it doesn't help.

Is there a way to perhaps debug our specific issue to at least see which WebGL calls are failing? Perhaps some additional flags might help? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks once again!

Usually with Intel GPUs the suspect is the GPU driver (you can search for the vendor and model id of your GPU card in the chromium blacklist files, there are a lot of Intel GPUs in that list).

You can try passing the following command line arguments to the WebEngine application ( or Chromium, although something additional might be needed there) to enable verbose debugging. I can't think of anything else. Ut just might be that Chromium uses GL calls / techniques that are broken with the respective GPU driver.

The flags are:  --enable-logging  -v=9