[Qtwebengine] QVirtualKeyboard not working with QWebEngineView?

Pascal Huerst pascal.huerst at gmail.com
Thu May 4 16:24:07 CEST 2017

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to use the Virtual Keyboard on a website, rendered within a
QWebEngineView, but the keyboard does not pop up if I click into a text
field. If I place a QLineEdit, next to the QWebEngineView and click into
it, the Virtual Keyboard works as expected. Interestingly, if I clicked
into the QLineEdit once, it starts also popping up, when clicking into
the text field on the web page, but it still does not receive any key
strokes. Somehow I can not belief, that the Virtual Keyboard is not
working within QWebEngineView, since this seems a rather common use case
to me.

Did I miss something? Does someone else see this problem?

To reproduce, any example using QWebEngineView can be used. The only
modification necessary is to paste the following line, before
QApplication(...) is created:

qputenv("QT_IM_MODULE", QByteArray("qtvirtualkeyboard"));

I'm working on Fedora 25 with Wayland.

Thanks,
Pascal