[Qtwebengine] Off-the-record QWebEngineProfiles

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed May 24 03:58:45 CEST 2017

Hi! I'm using the Python bindings -- I hope that doesn't make this
off topic. I'm trying to figure out how to use a QWebEngineProfile
to do "off the record" (incognito) browsing.

The documentation for QWebEngineProfile says I can browse
off the record, without saving anything to disk, by making a
new profile with QWebEngineProfile(). But having made that
off-the-record profile, I'm not clear how to use it.
I'm trying things like this:

    self.webview = QWebEngineView()

    self.profile = QWebEngineProfile()
    print("Profile off the record?", self.profile.isOffTheRecord())
    # prints True

    self.page = QWebEnginePage(self.profile)
    print("Page off the record?",
          self.page.profile().isOffTheRecord())
    # prints False

    self.webview.setPage(self.page)
    self.setCentralWidget(self.webview)

Even though I pass the off-record profile when initializing the
QWebEnginePage, the page doesn't use it. Why?

Related question and maybe a workaround: where does it store profile
state? The docs I found aren't clear on that. If I knew where it was
stored, at least I could delete it on startup and exit.

Full script, if it helps to have something runnable, at
https://github.com/akkana/scripts/blob/master/quickbrowse

Thanks for any pointers!

    ...Akkana