[Qtwebengine] QtWebEngine + ANGLE

Kevin Ushey kevinushey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 04:54:59 CEST 2018

Hi all,

If I'm understanding correctly, QtWebEngine doesn't support ANGLE, as per
e.g.

http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/qtwebengine/2017-August/000461.html
    https://wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine/Rendering#Rendering_without_the_GPU

For background: we have a number of users on Windows with Intel integrated
graphics cards, and when these users attempt to use the default desktop
OpenGL backend, they often see crashes (e.g. when attempting to load the
associated DLL ig9icd64.dll) or in other cases weird rendering artifacts
(for example, where the page contents are rendered offset from the 'true'
location on the screen). In most cases, upgrading the graphics card drivers
resolves the issue, but many users are unable or unwilling to do this.
Switching to the software renderer is also a viable workaround for these
users, but application performance then suffers. This is especially true
for laptops with high DPI displays.

The Chromium team in a 2015 bug report (
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=561542) suggests that
'--use-gl=desktop' is unmaintained, stating:

    I'd suggest --use-angle=gl instead. That code path's going to be
supported in the future but --use-gl=desktop on Windows is effectively
unmaintained.

and IIUC Chrome by default uses ANGLE by default for rendering (hence
making this the more tested rendering pipeline).

Are there any plans to bring support for ANGLE to QtWebEngine? Am I correct
that switching to ANGLE could be a panacea for this family of rendering
issues? Or is there some other way that I could further configure the
default desktop OpenGL renderer in Qt / QtWebEngine / Chromium that might
help alleviate these sorts of issues while still using hardware accelerated
rendering?

Thanks,
Kevin