[Qtwebengine] Override chrome flags to disalbe hardware-media-key-handling

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri May 22 15:41:01 CEST 2020

Hey Elias,

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 06:35:18PM +0200, Elias Steurer wrote:
> This can be disabled in chrome via :
>
>  * chrome://flags/#hardware-media-key-handling
>
> But I have not found a way to disable this behaviour in the QWebEngine
> anywhere. Is there a way to do this in c++ or via some settings config?

For many commandline flags handled by Chromium, you can pass them to a
QtWebEngine application as well, and the underlying Chromium will pick them up.

Searching for "hardware-media-key-handling" in Chromium's sources[1][2],
looking at the available switches[2] and a bit of guessing/knowledge tells me
that the chrome://flags setting actually passes this:

  --disable-features=HardwareMediaKeyHandling

Passing the same to a Qt application or setting it via
QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS[4] seems to work fine from a quick test I did.

Florian

[1] https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/master:chrome/browser/about_flags.cc;l=4513-4516;drc=569eadfb101f995a921b894e3923cbb20d921239
[2] https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/master:media/base/media_switches.cc;l=481-482;drc=46d7f22a530aed9c6bfdf2cfdba496e481e2e658
[3] https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/