[Qtwebengine] What does the future look like for QtPDF?

Jason C jason.cipriani at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 10:21:45 CET 2021

Hi all,

I have some questions about future development plans for QtPDF.

I managed to get it working on 5.15.2 with MSVC 2019 (32-bit); I had to
compile it from git source but it was straightforward, just a few
dependencies to set up.

My question is: What's up with this module? It's pretty fantastic, and even
having to compile it it's a lot less of a pain to set up than e.g. Poppler,
but it's also super ... unofficial-feeling (it could just be because it's
relatively new) -- the documentation at
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtpdf-module.html is very incomplete, the module
wasn't available out-of-the-box, and it isn't available for every kit.

More specifically:

1. Is it around to stay?
2. Is the API stable or should I expect changes?
3. Will there ever be support for MinGW? I don't normally work with MSVC
and the compiler differences keep hurting my productivity a bit. Plus, it
cuts off my Linux / Mac options.

Thanks!