[Qtwebengine] Why is Kerberos support disabled by default on Linux

mpartrid at gmail.com mpartrid at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 13:57:36 CEST 2021

Hi QtWebEngine list,

I've been using the pre-built binaries (5.15) for Windows and Linux and just
hit a problem where the QtWebEngine browser doesn't seem to support
Kerberos authentication on Linux - I may be misunderstanding how the build
configuration, but that's my current thinking on the problem.

>From what I understand of the config system, it looks to me that Kerberos
support is auto-detected on Windows, but for Linux it's not enabled.

I understand that I can make a custom build of Qt to enable Kerberos
support, but was really wondering if someone knows why the decision was made
not to enable it on Linux as a default? I figure that someone who knows
(much!) more about this than I do decided this was the best choice, so
before I make a custom build, what is the downside to enabling Kerberos on
Linux?

Just trying to tap into the wisdom of the qtwebengine group to understand
the pitfalls before I enable Kerberos in a custom build.

Kind Regards,

Michael