[Releasing] Qt 5.0 alpha released

Mika Boström mika.bostrom at nomovok.com
Wed Apr 4 10:21:41 CEST 2012

Let's try again - the first one was sent from wrong address.
Thunderbird, multiple accounts, b0rked default accounts for filtered
emails... (List admins can drop the earlier copy from review queue.)

On 04/03/12 18:01, marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com wrote:
> We are happy to announce the *Qt 5.0 alpha release*. This is the first
> major Qt release since the Qt Project went live, and a large amount of
> work and features have gone into this release.

[Kept development@ as cc, may be of interest to them.]

This is good news.

I have a minor gripe, though. None of the resources I looked at (blog,
wiki, git repos) contained the actual list of git commits used for the
submodules in this release.

qt5.git submodules show where the current "known-good" development
snapshot points. There are no tags or releasing branches in the modules.
As far as I can see, there is no easy way to reproduce the contents of
the alpha release from qt5.git submodules. Even the build-from-git page
(http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git) simply states that
master branches follow the ongoing development and submodules are
updated to match the latest working combination. At the moment I don't
know how to get a (pre-)release exported from git directly.

I personally care for that because I've done some work of my own to get
Qt5 built nicely from individual modules. I've been at it since last
summer, to be honest. The current results may be viewed at
https://build.pub.meego.com/project/monitor?project=Mer%3AQt5%3ADevel

That is the result of handcrafted specs and some trivial patching. I
would love to have the modular build match the releases and steps
leading up to Qt5 final. We could have a day 1 packaged release, and you
could have a testing ground for modular builds.

A straightforward way to reproduce releases from qt5.git would be a
welcome thing.

 Mika Boström / mika.bostrom at nomovok.com
 Software Architect