[Releasing] Testing: 08/22/2012 + linux-g++ [fail]

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Aug 22 15:55:54 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 22 de agosto de 2012 12.58.29, lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
> There is no split source package currently, and I don't see this happening
> for the beta neither.

I'm calling that a showstopper.

Here's why:

The split sources is the preferred way of building packages in Linux
distributions, which is in turn one of our main channels to users. I've looked
at the build scripts used in the Qt 5 PPA for Ubuntu, in the KDE:Qt50 OpenSUSE
OBS, in Mer's packaging and even the one I'm keeping for Tizen: they're all
split-source based.

Distribution binary packages is probably the channel that reaches the largest
number of users, so it's a mistake to ignore it.

Using the monolithic package in the distro is not acceptable. For one thing,
it would require rewriting the build scripts that have been developed for
months. For another, it would make one very large bottleneck in the build
process, since that build process is not distributable to many build nodes.

Finally, remember that after 5.0 we might have different release cycles for
some of the modules. Those need to be released in separate packages anyway,
which means they need to be tested now. Not to mention that some distros will
have difficulty updating portions of a monolithic package.

Therefore, the 5.0 final *must* include split sources.

Since it's a requirement for the final, it needs to be tested during the beta.