[Releasing] Testing: 08/22/2012 + linux-g++ [fail]

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Aug 22 17:11:04 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 22 de agosto de 2012 14.44.31, lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
> Well, Qt 4.8 wasn't split source neither. I know distributions don't like it
> very much, but at the same time I don't think we should delay the beta
> further because of this.

Qt 4.8 + Qt Mobility were split.

Qt 4.x didn't have components that were released in different cycles -- except
for one: QtWebKit. That has caused major headache to distributions, so it's
not an example to follow. In fact, it's showing what *not* to do.

> Split source packages also should lead to split binary package (aka an
> online installer).

I don't see why. The binary installer can still gather all split sources and
build them.

For that matter, the binary builder doesn't have to use the split sources. The
monolithic sources we're producing, it can still use them.

> But in any case, I still don't see this as an absolute must have for 5.0. It
> is certainly more important to get a release out then delaying another
> month to implement split source packaging.

I disagree. It's pointless to release something that can't be properly built
by the people who will take our code to the most number of people.

> The main problem implementing split source packages is documentation.
> Currently this still requires a monolithic source package, and until we
> have gotten that one modularised we simply can't do it.

Then we aren't ready for a beta. Call it alpha and let's continue doing
documentation modularisation.

Alternatively, declare that documentation is broken in 5.0 beta and let's just
have a hack to build it now (by that, I mean whatever we're already doing,
namely, use the monolithic sources).

We need then only to decide whether documentation in 5.0 final / release
candidate needs to be fixed.