[Releasing] Tests and Qt 4 tarballs

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Wed Dec 5 16:46:01 CET 2012

Hello world,

I was stuck with a mildly puzzling problem yesterday: figuring out why
a patch didn't apply to a fresh Qt 4 tarball in our build system. So,
for the first time in more or less my entire Qt career, I unpacked the
tarball (usually, I just use git), to find out that the patch was
failing to apply because it touched the tests/ directory, which
apparently isn't packaged in the release tarballs (at least for 4.8.3
and 4.8.4).

This seems fundamentally wrong to me: a vendor doesn't want to just
use Qt, they also want to test it, to make sure that it functions as
expected on their system (and that patches they may apply don't break
it in ways they don't expect) - and is also at odds with how Qt 5 is
packaged -- where the tests supposedly are included.

I don't really know who is responsible for releasing Qt 4, but can you
please consider packaging tests for 4.8.5 to bring things in line with
Qt 5, and bring a little more sanity to things? Or if there is a
reason why they aren't packaged: what is it?

Thanks,

Robin