[Releasing] State of Qt 5.0.0 wk 50 & Meeting minutes: release team meeting 12.12.2012

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Thu Dec 13 16:28:47 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 03:04:42PM +0000, Tanilkan Sinan wrote:
> _Branching_
> Once rc 2 is out, Sergio will create release branches. If there are
> changes needed after rc 2, they need to go trough Sergio (who will
> cherry pick them from stable).

this is already a defeat of the branching concept. repeat after me:
cherry-picks are *bad*.
the correct procedure would have been:
- announce the exact branching time
- refuse to accept p0/p1 fixes into stable, require that people submit
  them to release
- forward-merge release => stable as usual

the situation can be still salvaged by fast-forwarding release to stable
(once the relevant pending changes have integrated) and merge (possibly
fast-forward) stable into releasing one last time before 5.0.0.