[Releasing] qt 4.8/5.0 releasing process

simo.falt at nokia.com simo.falt at nokia.com
Tue Mar 6 16:53:36 CET 2012

Hi,
To get things rolling, I'd like to start the discussion of the role
releasing in the scope of qt-project.
I'we had some discussions with Akseli and Iikka from Digia and we have a
porposal for packaging the release, but what we are still missing is the
process and roles when it is time to really do the magic.

* Release cycle
	- I think it is somewhat agreed that with Qt 5.0 we target 6 month
release cycle
* Gerrit usage
	- release branch or limiting staging possibilities before the release to
make sure things are progressing smoothly?
	- we (Nokia QT release team) used to have separate releasing repository,
but I don't think that is needed
* Release artifacts
	- As said Digia has been working with scripts to enable nice packaging of
Qt via Installer Framework
	- Our plan was to provide SDK like installers with Qt creator to Win, Mac
and Linux. But that was only our plan...
	- With 4.8 I would say that we stick with current artifacts
* Decision making
	- Who gives the final "ok"? Chief or component maintainers?
* Release team
	- The task can't be single mans job, but we need bunch of volunteers.
	- You can count me in for this.

I most likely missed something but lets start. As Digia is now willing to
take care of 4.8.1 release, we should act quickly at least defining the
gerrit process.

Simo