[Releasing] Qt 4.8.1 open source release date approaching..

Girish Ramakrishnan girish at forwardbias.in
Fri Mar 9 16:41:21 CET 2012

Hi,

2012/3/9 Salovaara Akseli <Akseli.Salovaara at digia.com>:
> Hi,
>

> We are currently preparing & testing Qt 4.8.1 open source release for next
> week. Exact release date is still open, until all tests are passed. And, as
> discussed it is possible that critical problems are found, and then we need
> to take another try.
>

> We are currently testing against sha1 that points to commit:
> 1e0021d8d9e374ae3959fcd4eac5d9e7238cbc54

Can you create a branch instead? The way it's been done traditionally
(for old values of tradition) is:
a. Create a 4.8.1 branch. People should be testing this branch for the
release and this branch only.
b. Patches can continue to go in 4.8 branch (but will only be in
4.8.2). The testing of the above doesn't need to be restarted over and
over again
c. If the committer in 4.8 feels his patch is supremely important and
fit for 4.8.1, he pings the release dude (you) and seeks permission to
put his change in 4.8.1 branch. You analyze the risk and
approve/disapprove.
d. Once you are ready for release, ship the 4.8.1 branch. Create a
signed tag v4.8.1 with your signature. This makes sure that even if
someone confidently committed stuff in 4.8.1 post-release, we still
know what we shipped with.

If there's another methodology in place, let me know, but the current
way of sha1 based testing is not ideal.

Girish