[Releasing] [Development] Qt 4.8.1 open source release date approaching..

joao.abecasis at nokia.com joao.abecasis at nokia.com
Sat Mar 10 02:07:25 CET 2012

I think we have way uglier things than cherry-picks in our history tree, and repeated commits are just a natural part of branching. Sure, we can *aim* for a cleaner history, but let's not unnecessarily restrict ourselves to one.

In the release/rc branch approach, the final release is incrementally approached. As part of the release process it should be tagged and the release branch merged back to mainline, so the release commit and tag become part of the main branch's history.

Traditionally, I don't think we've done a proper merge from the release branch, but more like a git merge -s ours, discarding changes in the release branch. I assume this was done for the sake of the release manager's sanity...

Cheers,

João