[Releasing] Compiling Qt 5 alpha 20120314: msvc2010 release build

Rohan McGovern rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Mon Mar 19 00:49:34 CET 2012

kai.koehne at nokia.com said:
> Following the README, I'm configuring with
>
> configure -prefix %CD%\qtbase -opensource
>

> that is, autotests enabled, but no -developer-build. This breaks in qtscript, proposed patch is at
>
> http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,20123
>
> Kai
>
> Btw, I agree with Thiago, do we really want to encourage people to build tests by default?

One problem with having any part of Qt disabled by default is
that there is not actually a way to _enable_ such parts again via
configure arguments.

Well, Unix configure has -nomake and -make (e.g. -nomake tests disables
tests, -make tests would enable tests if they were disabled by default).

Windows configure.exe however has -nomake to disable parts, and no way
to _enable_ parts.  (There is a -make option but it has entirely
different meaning than on Unix).

In other words, all build parts must be enabled by default because it
is only possible to subtract, not add, from the set of enabled build
parts.  Only when that's fixed could we start changing the
default set.