[Releasing] Meeting minutes: release team meeting 09.11.2012
Sinan.Tanilkan at digia.com
Fri Nov 9 13:43:40 CET 2012
Thanks for the meeting today. Here are the minutes:
_Qt 5 beta 2 blockers_
New packages are being prepared, and we hope to have them available tonight. In those packages all know blockers are fixed, except:
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27011 No license file in binary package
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27820 Windows binaries should use angle
Another set of packages are planned to be ready on Saturday morning. These should contain fixes for all know blockers. These last packages should be considered a candidate for the Qt 5 beta 2 release, and we hope to be able to make a go/no-go decision in the release team meeting on Tuesday.
[12:01:00] <SinanTanilkan> lars, thiago, steveire, ZapB, rosch, mauricek, treinio, iieklund, akseli, joaijala, sahumada, tijensse, kkoehne: Ping
[12:01:10] <kkoehne> SinanTanilkan: pong
[12:01:14] <rosch> pong
[12:01:16] <iieklund> SinanTanilkan: pong
[12:01:17] <treinio> pong
[12:01:26] <joaijala> SinanTanilkan: pong
[12:01:31] <ZapB> pong
[12:02:20] <SinanTanilkan> Sorry for not sugesting an agenda before the meeting.
[12:02:22] <sahumada> pong
[12:02:26] <SinanTanilkan> Here is a suggestion:
[12:02:31] <SinanTanilkan> 1 - Blockers for the release. 2 - Agree on the plans for the comming days.
[12:02:35] <SinanTanilkan> Any comments or suggestions?
[12:02:40] <ZapB> sounds good
[12:02:45] <kkoehne> Yes
[12:03:01] <SinanTanilkan> Ok. treinio. Could you start?
[12:03:14] <treinio> yes
[12:03:41] <treinio> we have half a dozen bugs still open, but all of them are being addressed.
[12:04:00] <treinio> shall we go trough then one by one?
[12:04:04] <treinio> *tem
[12:04:07] <treinio> *them
[12:04:10] <SinanTanilkan> Yes. I think we should.
[12:04:16] <treinio> ok
[12:04:27] <treinio> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27820 Windows binaries should use angle
[12:04:35] <treinio> The next windows packages (once done) will use ANGLE
[12:04:47] <treinio> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27880 QtWebProcess.exe is missing from Windows packages
[12:04:48] <SinanTanilkan> iieklund: Can you confirm that this looks ok?
[12:04:54] <iieklund> yes
[12:05:01] <treinio> I understood the qtwebprocess issue is expected to be solved also when we get ANGLE
[12:05:06] <SinanTanilkan> iieklund: when do we expect to see the next packages?
[12:05:08] <iieklund> Angle enabled build is ongoing, going ok so far
[12:05:23] <iieklund> win build takes ~ 7h :/
[12:05:28] <treinio> ouch
[12:05:30] <SinanTanilkan> iieklund: Ok. I think you are right (re qtwebprocess.
[12:05:33] <iieklund> no jom used
[12:05:38] <kkoehne> iieklund: I guess we need to package the d3* libraries then, too?
[12:05:38] <SinanTanilkan> Ok
[12:05:39] <lars> pong
[12:05:49] <iieklund> d3?
[12:06:00] <treinio> direct3d?
[12:06:00] <kkoehne> iieklund: AFAIK there are runtime libraries for activex
[12:06:10] <kkoehne> treinio: Yes, whatever the name is ...
[12:06:13] <tuukkat> iieklund: 7h more, or in total? How moch more?
[12:06:32] <kkoehne> iieklund: Just that they have to end up in the package for both qt creator and qt.
[12:06:39] <iieklund> on top of that creator build and installer creation ~45min
[12:06:41] <lars> iieklund: kkoehne: there's one runtime we need to package, yes
[12:06:54] <iieklund> kkoehne: is this a new thing?
[12:07:02] <kkoehne> iieklund: It's an angle dependency
[12:07:29] <iieklund> ok, I need more details then to update the packaging if needed
[12:07:36] <iieklund> after mtg?
[12:07:40] <SinanTanilkan> Let me see if i get this right:
[12:07:42] <kkoehne> iieklund: Okay
[12:07:54] <SinanTanilkan> Both the bugs mentioned by treinio should be fixed in the next packages.
[12:08:04] <iieklund> correct
[12:08:14] <SinanTanilkan> What was agreed after that?
[12:08:31] <iieklund> I will check with kai what needs to be updated in packaging
[12:08:35] <SinanTanilkan> Ok. Thanks
[12:08:45] <SinanTanilkan> Please proceede treinio.
[12:08:58] <treinio> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27818 mac: qt5 beta2 mac installer doesn't run with default security settings
[12:09:06] <iieklund> -> fixed
[12:09:21] <treinio> automatic signing in place?
[12:09:22] <SinanTanilkan> caroline confirmed that it is fixed in the packages from this morning.
[12:09:23] <iieklund> there was a typo in the automatic mac installer signing scripts
[12:09:29] <treinio> ok
[12:09:32] <SinanTanilkan> iieklund: Is it fixed?
[12:09:38] <iieklund> fixed, yes
[12:09:41] <treinio> i'll close it - thanks
[12:09:42] <SinanTanilkan> :)
[12:09:54] <treinio> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27862 Display is broken Mac 10.8
[12:09:58] <treinio> Fixed in todays installer, waiting for verification
[12:10:10] <kkoehne> treinio: Anyone working on that?
[12:10:17] <SinanTanilkan> caroline has verified it. Can be closed.
[12:10:22] <-> Ossy_away is now known as Ossy
[12:10:36] <treinio> yes - ok. done
[12:10:46] <treinio> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27797 Unable to Install Assistant from QT5 Beta2
[12:10:59] <-- hanne (~linaae at 202.84-49-38.nextgentel.com) has quit (Read error: Operation timed out)
[12:11:13] <joaijala> that should be fixes also
[12:11:22] <joaijala> if not in current installers then in next ones
[12:11:30] <treinio> Fix already in qtsdk - but depends on a new fix that landed to qtsdk moments ago
[12:11:49] <SinanTanilkan> Ok, so it's not going to be fixed in the build that is ongoing then?
[12:12:29] <joaijala> SinanTanilkan: it will be taken to next installers, it's building the sources now, that is needed in installer creation phase which is the last step
[12:12:43] <SinanTanilkan> joaijala: Great. Thanks.
[12:13:01] <treinio> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27906 Qt5 installer doesn't register installed Qt in Qt Creator
[12:13:08] <treinio> Fix merged to qtsdk a few minutes ago
[12:13:19] <joaijala> same here, it will be included in next installers
[12:13:24] <treinio> yes
[12:13:30] <treinio> the last one
[12:13:30] <SinanTanilkan> Good.
[12:13:37] <treinio> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27904 Can't compile all of qt from source package
[12:13:46] <treinio> Caused be late introduction of qtwebkit-examples-and-demos (?), fix (39171) already in qtsdk
[12:14:02] <SinanTanilkan> Is it part of the packages being generated?
[12:14:09] <sahumada> I verified that one
[12:14:12] <sahumada> it's working now
[12:14:15] <kkoehne> sahumada: Confirmed
[12:14:24] <treinio> sahumada: kkoehne: good, thanks
[12:14:25] <SinanTanilkan> Great. So close it then?
[12:14:42] <sahumada> yes
[12:14:44] <kkoehne> SinanTanilkan: Will do
[12:15:04] <treinio> that was it then
[12:15:31] <sahumada> treinio: no changes needed code-wise ?
[12:15:38] <SinanTanilkan> So all issues that block the beta is fixed, except the one iieklund and kkoehne will look at after the meeting?
[12:15:47] <iieklund> one more thing
[12:15:53] <iieklund> license files for installer
[12:16:05] <iieklund> there was email/jira ticket(?)
[12:16:15] <sahumada> yes, Paul mentioned that in an email
[12:16:19] <iieklund> I asked what the correct license files should be and where to get them
[12:16:19] <tuukkat> Just to verify, do we now see that the qtsdk.git is uptodate and contains things we thing will be good beta 2?
[12:16:46] <treinio> sahumada: no, unless the angle dependencies bring up something
[12:17:02] <SinanTanilkan> tuukkat: Based on the current discussion, that is my understanding
[12:17:15] --> tjenssen_without (quassel at nat/trolltech/x-dgpgpimodmciqico) has joined #qt-releases
[12:17:21] <sahumada> treinio: iieklund: joaijala: so I wont update qtsdk.git submodules with new changes
[12:17:22] <tuukkat> This is really good! I am very, very happy about it.
[12:17:33] <joaijala> tuukkat: as far I understand yes, there is some updates coming to submodules, but we decided not to update them yet
[12:17:39] <SinanTanilkan> sahumada: I agree. Unless we get new blockers.
[12:17:44] <sahumada> I agree
[12:18:02] <SinanTanilkan> iieklund: Did you get the answers you needed for the licensing?
[12:18:19] <iieklund> I need to check email again
[12:18:41] <iieklund> sahuma: what time was that email?
[12:18:42] <tuukkat> iieklund: I think the license files from beta 1 can be used, unless those were wrong for some reason.
[12:18:59] <iieklund> tuukkat: that's the problem, they are the same
[12:19:03] <sahumada> iieklund: 06:23 PM oslo time
[12:19:11] <sahumada> iieklund: from Paul Olav Tvete
[12:19:15] <rosch> tuukkat: SinanTanilkan: sorry if I am slow, but is tehre a tech preview license for the beta, or only LGPL?
[12:19:24] <kkoehne> iieklund: It's about the ThirdPartyLicenses file ...
[12:19:50] <kkoehne> iieklund: Licenses/ThirdPartySoftware_listening.txt just contains LGPL text
[12:20:05] <SinanTanilkan> Ok. So the current status is that we need to fix the licensing, and the issue kai and iieklund will explore. Right?
[12:20:32] <iieklund> yes
[12:20:52] <SinanTanilkan> Ok. Plans for the comming days then.
[12:21:07] <tuukkat> rosch: tech preview for commercial licensees, yes.
[12:21:23] <SinanTanilkan> New packages will hopefully be ready tonight or tomorrow morning (is this right iieklund?)
[12:21:27] <sahumada> iieklund: done
[12:21:34] <iieklund> SinanTanilkan: yes
[12:22:09] <SinanTanilkan> iieklund: Sergio has volunteered to sanity test those packages on saturday (on win and linux).
[12:22:21] <SinanTanilkan> We need someone who can help with the sanity test on mac.
[12:22:28] <rosch> tuukkat: good :)
[12:22:32] <SinanTanilkan> Before we invite the community to test.
[12:22:40] <SinanTanilkan> Is there anyone here who has a chanse to help?
[12:23:02] <iieklund> I can follow the builds sat-sun
[12:23:23] <SinanTanilkan> iieklund: Do you have a mac, so you can install, and do a short sanity check?
[12:23:29] <lars> I can try to help to some extent as well
[12:23:35] <lars> have a mac...
[12:23:36] <SinanTanilkan> lars: Thanks.
[12:23:47] <iieklund> SinanTanilkan: not at home
[12:24:11] -*- kkoehne will also test on Linux
[12:24:19] <tuukkat> I have mac 10.8 home and can verify on it during the weekend - at least the basic things
[12:24:32] <SinanTanilkan> tuukkat: Thanks. That's fine.
[12:25:20] <SinanTanilkan> sahumada, lars and tuukkat: If you let me know as soon as you have done basic sanity testing, i can send an invite to releasing and developent list, and invite to testing.
[12:25:49] <lars> SinanTanilkan: any defined procedure for sanity testing, or should I just do what I think makses sense?
[12:26:30] <SinanTanilkan> The objective is to evaluate if it is ready for testing by a broader audience, check that it installs as expected, and that you think it can be tested.
[12:26:38] <tuukkat> I think the invite should come as soon as possible after the installers are there
[12:26:43] <SinanTanilkan> tuukkat: I agree.
[12:26:44] <SinanTanilkan> Unless we meet serious problems, these packages should be considered a candidate for the beta 2 release.
[12:26:47] <lars> aye aye ;-)
[12:26:52] <tuukkat> What is ETA of the packages to CDN?
[12:26:53] <SinanTanilkan> :)
[12:27:00] --> anshaw (~quassel at 126.96.36.199) has joined #qt-releases
[12:27:23] <tuukkat> is is not +7h or something else?
[12:27:31] <tuukkat> sorry, now + 7h
[12:27:35] <SinanTanilkan> iieklund ^
[12:27:48] <iieklund> you mean the build time?
[12:28:03] <lars> iieklund: when do we have the packages where everything should be ok?
[12:28:06] <tuukkat> What time we expect the packages be available?
[12:28:27] <sahumada> I think it's 07:00 am Finland time and 08:00 am Oslo time
[12:28:30] <iieklund> from build machine estimate: 345mins + creator builds (~20mins?) + packaging ~ 30 mins
[12:28:55] <lars> iieklund: we're not doing any packages earlier?
[12:29:04] <lars> ie. start a build now, so we can test tonight?
[12:29:05] <tuukkat> so in about 7,5 hours from now
[12:29:08] <iieklund> we already have
[12:29:13] <iieklund> but not with latest content
[12:29:27] <iieklund> http://origin.releases.qt-project.org/digia/5.0.0_beta2/backups/2012-11-09-329/
[12:29:33] <iieklund> but that is missing angle
[12:29:40] <iieklund> and the qtsdk.git update done today
[12:29:54] <lars> wouldn't it make sense to start a fresh build now including all the changes?
[12:30:00] <SinanTanilkan> Does it make sense to continue that build?
[12:30:05] <lars> then we should have them at 8pm tonight
[12:30:09] <tuukkat> IS the build that is now ongoing containing all the needed parts?
[12:30:19] <iieklund> there is scheduled build machine reboot every night 21:00 -> won't have time to finish
[12:30:40] <joaijala> tuukkat: yes, the build that will finish in 7 hours has all that we should need now
[12:31:08] <lars> joaijala: ok, and what's the delta to the build we'll get tomorrow morning?
[12:31:19] -*- lars is still confused
[12:31:22] <iieklund> packaging fixes possibly
[12:31:25] <tuukkat> Excellent. That means we can do sanity testing tonight and notify community after that later tonoght?
[12:31:37] <iieklund> but we should get all packaging related fixes in today
[12:31:50] <rosch> why does a win build take this long? is it not a build farm? are you not able to use teambuilder or something?
[12:31:58] <iieklund> lars: if this build succeeds that would be a good candidate
[12:31:59] <joaijala> lars, not much probably, some packaging fixes as mentioned
[12:32:09] <lars> rosch: separate discussion. nmake doesn't support -j
[12:32:25] <lars> rosch: we'll need to switch to jom for that. -> after the beta
[12:32:38] <lars> joaijala: ok
[12:32:38] <iieklund> rosch: it's pure jom has been unstable, need to check situation after beta2
[12:32:47] <SinanTanilkan> joaijala iieklund: are the fixes you mention blockers for the release?
[12:32:55] <tuukkat> I think it is good to have one candidate now and another tomorrow / during the weekend. Then we can pick the best on Monday.
[12:33:09] <SinanTanilkan> i mean the fixes that will be in the next build you start?
[12:33:11] <iieklund> SinanTanilkan: I think so
[12:33:12] <rosch> iieklund: lars ok
[12:33:19] <iieklund> the Angle dependency lib needs to be added
[12:33:20] <kkoehne> SinanTanilkan: Yes.
[12:33:26] <iieklund> and the license files
[12:33:40] <iieklund> SinanTanilkan: there was no reply to my question in email
[12:33:47] <iieklund> where to get correct license files?
[12:34:07] <SinanTanilkan> But these are blockers for the release right?
[12:34:13] <sahumada> iieklund: can you send us an email when we have packages available on releases.qt-project.org ? lars, tuukkat
[12:34:21] <iieklund> SinanTanilkan: yes
[12:34:35] <iieklund> sahumada: I will
[12:34:39] <SinanTanilkan> So the packages that will be ready tonight are not candidates for the beta then?
[12:34:58] <treinio> this is the delta between todays packages and current qtsdk HEAD: http://pastebin.com/FUKPAJgy
[12:34:59] <lars> SinanTanilkan: no, but they will give us a very good indication where we are
[12:35:06] <iieklund> SinanTanilkan: yes. The fixes that still needs to be done are related to packaging
[12:35:16] <iieklund> there is time to do those before installer creation triggers
[12:35:23] <SinanTanilkan> Ok. Thanks.
[12:35:43] <SinanTanilkan> Let me summarize (and see if i got this right):
[12:36:08] <SinanTanilkan> Packages will be ready tonight, and we will sanity test them (no request to the community for broader testing?)
[12:36:24] <SinanTanilkan> New pacakges tomorrow morning, we will sanity test, and ask for testing in the community.
[12:36:39] <SinanTanilkan> The latter packages is the potiential candidate for the qt 5 beta 2 release.
[12:36:40] <SinanTanilkan> Right?
[12:36:57] <iieklund> sounds good to me
[12:37:45] <SinanTanilkan> Good. If these packages work, it will leave more that 48 hours from the packages was published until the go/nogo-meeting (on monday)
[12:38:07] <SinanTanilkan> If new packages are needed on Sunday or Monday, i suggest the go/no-go meeting should still be on monday.
[12:38:26] <tuukkat> I will be able to do sanity test tonight, but not tomorrow (on the road) - so we need to find someone with mac or rely only on Lars (10.7), which should be fine.
[12:38:42] <lars> tuukkat: I actually have 10.8
[12:38:45] <SinanTanilkan> I trust lars :)
[12:38:54] <tuukkat> great, then we have no problem
[12:38:55] <lars> heh, careful with that :)
[12:39:07] <SinanTanilkan> Ok. That's all i have for this meeting. Anything else we should bring up?
After the meeting there was a discussion on the license files.
More information about the Releasing