[Releasing] ICU linking problems in latest installer packages.

Ahumada Sergio Sergio.Ahumada at digia.com
Sat Nov 10 12:23:36 CET 2012

> On sexta-feira, 9 de novembro de 2012 20.20.28, Knoll Lars wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Koehne Kai
>> <Kai.Koehne at digia.com<mailto:Kai.Koehne at digia.com>> wrote: Just an idea,
>> but what happens if you delete the unversioned libicu*.so symbolic links in
>> /lib ? Will it link to the system one then for user applications?
>>
>> That seems to help. But I don't think that is a proper solution.
>>
>> No it's not. For the beta2, I think we should document this in the known
>> issues page, as it'll affect only those few people that try to compile a
>> project that uses ICU directly. For the RC we need a proper solution
>> though.
>>
> Quite to the contrary. Removing the .so files seems like the entirely correct
> solution to me.
>
> They should be present for compiling the package, but not afterwards, as ICU
> is not part of our API. If users want to use ICU, they need to install on
> their systems, on their own.

I added the current workaround to http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt500Beta2KnownIssues

I managed to compile QtWebkit removing:
- Qt5.0.0beta2/5.0.0-beta2/gcc_64/lib/libicudata.so
- Qt5.0.0beta2/5.0.0-beta2/gcc_64/lib/libicui18n.so
- Qt5.0.0beta2/5.0.0-beta2/gcc_64/lib/libicuuc.so

I also noted that QtCreator does not ship the un-versioned ICU libraries (Qt5.0.0beta2/Tools/Qt Creator/lib/qtcreator/libicu*).

Cheers,
--
Sergio Ahumada
Quality Engineer - Digia, Qt