[Releasing] State of Qt 5.0.0 wk 40

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Wed Oct 3 10:21:21 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 02 October 2012 20:11:27 Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> On 2.10.2012 22.00, "Sean Harmer" <sean.harmer at kdab.com> wrote:
> >I've linked it to the beta2 metabug. Thanks for the report.
>
> As a general note I would like to see beta 2 out as soon as we have the
> new modularized packaging and a few other items in place.

Yes time is of course a consideration. However, so is quality. We decided
yesterday in the release team meeting that the time would be governed by
meeting the quality gates that are in the process of being defined.

> While it s good to have as many regressions fixed as possible, we also
> need to have the release out as there is a huge amount of fixes already in
> and we need to get feedback from users based on those.

I agree to a certain extent. However, releasing another beta with mostly the
same set of P0's and P1's as the previous beta(*) will just result in those
same issues being reported again and lead to a perception that not much is
happening even though that is far from the case.

> So I would like to avoid adding blockers, but naturally encourage everyone
> to have their fixes in and to continuously improve maturity (the one above
> was filed as critical, which is a good prio: something we definitely need
> to fix, but not an item that prevents releasing beta 2).

Whether the beta2 is released before all of the collected blockers are
resolved is a separate decision which the release team will decide in time as
things naturally progress. The metabug will also give an indication of where
to focus efforts. We still do not know at this stage exactly which addon
modules will form part of the release.

Kind regards,

Sean

* This is an assertion at this stage. The whole point of that metabug is to
collect together the blocking issues so that we can at least define the
problem.

--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer