[Releasing] Tarball distribution issue for the important releases

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Sep 1 10:54:58 CEST 2012

On sábado, 1 de setembro de 2012 09.25.40, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM, <simon.hausmann at nokia.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I support Thiago's decision. I don't see an actual _problem_ in providing
> > the new compression given the availability of the tgz files.
>
> Just one of those: can you tell me what I need to do for the Harmattan
> target of the Community OBS to use ".xz" instead of ".bz2", if we prefer
> the compression size and memory footprint over tar.gz?

Try feeding it .xz files. If that doesn't work, use .gz and be done with it.

Like I said, if your system can't use the new format, you'll pay the price in
storage until you get a better system or upgrade.

> Unfortunately, not to mention the real life scenario where the whole setup
> is a sandbox for us, and we do not even have access rights to that for
> modifications. This is suboptimal as well, but unfortunately a fact.

So .gz files don't work for you either?

The only scenario in which I'd consider re-adding .bz2 support is the one in
which .tar.gz doesn't work.