[Releasing] Tarball distribution issue for the important releases

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Sep 1 12:26:29 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM, <simon.hausmann at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know the precise answer to your question but I am confident that a
> solution exists in OBS. Quoting from
> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Tutorial :
>
> "To add files via the command line, just cd into the new directory, copy
> the relevant files (typically a .tar.xz and support files)."

It means that alternatively to the web interface, OBS has a command line
interface ("osc") which you can upload files with. This is written in
python, and has a similar concept to the revision management. It does not
mean that the packaging tools accept .xz files.

As far as I see, OBS does not have an out-of-the-box solution for the
unpack and repackaging. I believe, it is also good that way because this
should be addressed on the packagers' side to not stress the workers on the
build farm.

There are two ways of doing that: either via getting the proper tarball or
having a packaging tool used by everybody. If the former option is not
present, this will be a repetitive task, if the packaging tool is not in
place which is the reality (i.e. not integrated into the dpkg-buildpackage
-rfakeroot workflow, at least on Harmattan), if I am not mistaken.

The .tar.gz, as a fallback as Thiago suggested, is a not an option for many
due to the compression size. Hence, what left is custom aliases or
functions for many with the unpackaging and repackaging overhead.

Either way, if the people would not like to get this back, then let us not
get this back. :-) I have been just interested in others' opinion. Thank
you to all for the feedback.

Laszlo