[Releasing] ICU support in QtCore and QtWebKit

morten.sorvig at nokia.com morten.sorvig at nokia.com
Wed Sep 12 13:59:11 CEST 2012

On Sep 12, 2012, at 12:42 PM, ext Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> The incompatibilities are manageable, for sure. Can you check if
> /usr/library/libicucore.dylib contains versioned C symbols? For example, here
> they are versioned:
>
> $ nm -D /lib64/libicuuc.so | grep ucnv_close
> 00000035de655740 T ucnv_close_48

nm /usr/lib/libicucore.dylib  | grep ucnv_close
000000000005849e T _ucnv_close

(no "-D"  on OS X nm)

> Whether we can rely on it always being there, that's something you need to
> tell me. But in any case, we can always say that future OSX versions aren't
> supported until we get our hands on them and test.

I wish I had that kind of inside information :) As noted in the blog I pointed to the headers are not present, which makes me a little bit worried.  Apple has a history of making incompatible changes to system libraries like libicu, which is why macports duplicates everything for example.

I think we should go a little bit beyond "future versions are not supported" though, and actually make an effort to make sure our binaries keep running.

Morten