[Releasing] [Development] Not stripping our binaries by default

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Sep 14 16:31:52 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 14 de setembro de 2012 16.25.46, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > I made it default to no-stripping.
>
> which i don't understand ...

Simon's email:

"I think that our default configure and make rules should be tailored towards
developers deliberately building Qt from source, so IMHO it should not strip
by default. When you build Qt from source I'm not sure you care about the
binary size (you're installing on your local drive) and you might appreciate
getting some useful backtraces when they happen."

> > The option does not apply to Windows's configure.exe because you're not
> > supposed to make install there.
>
> that's not exactly true for multiple reasons:
> - mingw
> - x-compiling (think android & qnx)
> - package creation does make install INSTALL_ROOT=... - or at least it
>   should

Ok, I'll update the configure.exe too, probably on Monday.