[Releasing] [Development] Not stripping our binaries by default

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Sep 14 16:35:47 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 14 de setembro de 2012 16.21.44, Thomas Senyk wrote:
> On Fri, September 14, 2012 04:08:57 PM Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I made it default to no-stripping.
>
> Why? Shouldn't stripping be the default?

I don't think it should, neither does Simon. But Lars, Ossi and you think it
should.

Since I prepared the patch while there's no consensus, I opted to go for my
preference.

> Having "some" information in the binary isn't very helpful anyway.
> I agree that package manager need something to disable stripping if it needs
> to happen in another stage of package build, but that's no argument for
> having it off on default.
>
> A argument for stripping as default:
> A lot of people don't know what's the right thing to do in most cases ... so
> the "best" option should be taken. and the best options are IMHO:
> - debug build -> all information
> - release build -> best possible performance/size/...

We're using -O2 in release mode, which increases code size. If size was an
issue, we'd have -Os.

What's more, EVERYTHING out there except for Qt builds with no stripping by
default. I think being consistent is more important.