[Releasing] Preparing Qt 5.0.2 release

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Thu Feb 14 10:06:18 CET 2013

On Wednesday 13 February 2013 14:58:05 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2013 11.08.36, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> > Is there a decision yet on desktop GL builds for win32 in 5.0.2?
>
> There's a decision to try.
>
> In the 5.0.1 release process, the desktop GL builds were in a lower priority
> than MSVC 2012 64-bit builds.

I would *love* to see desktop OpenGKL builds shipped with Qt 5.0.2. We are
getting many posts about this on the devnet forums.

The bug for this is now 12th most popular:

https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Apopularissues-panel

For anybody wanting to do desktop based OpenGL applications with Qt this is a
pain as the only option is for them to go and build Qt themselves at present.
Although we are happy to do this, end-users do not appreciate this additional
hassle.

The Intel OpenGL drivers are much improved in recent times, especially for the
4000 series (Ivy Bridge) meaning ANGLE is not needed for these newer drivers.

It seems a shame to cripple end-users who want Desktop features for the sake
of those with low-end GPUs. I understand the desire to have this working
anywhere.

What is the blockage for this to happen? CPU time? Sysadmin time?

Cheers,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer